- Ten Things I Can’t Live Without as a Writer That Are Conspiring to Kill MeThey say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. But I’m starting to think what makes me stronger is going to kill me […]
- Use Lively Verbs in Your Writing – On the RMFW BlogIf your verbs aren’t punching above their weight, you may be squandering an opportunity to add depth, character, and tension to your writing. […]
- How Are You, Really? Thoughts on Memorial DayIn my inbox, a letter from a fellow writer: “How are you, really?” she asked, not just to me, but to all the […]
- Writing Exercises—Not Just for New Writers – On the RMFW BlogAs with any artform, in writing there’s always more to learn, new techniques to try, new strategies to tackle. It doesn’t matter how […]
- 10 Easy Ways to Sabotage Your Writing CareerIs your writing going way too well? Confidence high? Productivity off the charts? Well, I’m here to help. Here are 10 easy steps […]
I’m a Colorado-based freelance/business writer, creative writer, and speaker with an irresistible desire to talk about writing (or travel… don’t get me started). Story-telling is the best way I know to keep reality on a short leash. Whether you’re a reader or a writer (or both), this website is a place where we can share tips, gripes, inspiration, and observations about this writing life. Got a question? Ask! Got a suggestion or comment? Share it! Want more? Sign up for my newsletter. I can’t wait to connect with you.
Join My Email List
If you’d like to hear more about my writing and read a free “Stranger than Fiction” story in every issue, sign up for my newsletter, which is sent out every 3 months or so. No spam, I promise. Just enter your email below and click “Join Now.”
Weekly Writing Prompt
Let’s think about verbs. Make a list of all the verbs you can think of for actions like “walk,” “sigh,” “dream,” “showed anger,” and “showed surprise.” If you find yourself going beyond verbs, that’s great! Phrases are fine, body language is fine—let yourself brainstorm new ways to describe common actions.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” – Ernest Hemingway
Catch up with Kelley at these great events.
Due to the current COVID 19 pandemic, all upcoming events have been put on hold. Please stay tuned!
Looking for more information about writing? Check out these websites.
Writers whose stories feature women in the WestRocky Mountain Fiction Writers
Monthly events and annual conference in ColoradoPikes Peak Writers
Monthly events and annual conference in ColoradoLighthouse Writers Workshop
Courses and workshops for both adults and youth, based in Colorado
Seasonal events and annual conference in UtahLife, the Universe & Everything
Conference/symposium on SF & Fantasy in UtahRomance Writers of America
National organization with local chaptersScience Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
National organization with local chaptersMystery Writers of America
National organization with local chapters
International organization with local chaptersSociety of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators
National organization with local chaptersPreditors & Editors
guide to publishers and publishing servicesSociety for Technical Communication
National organization with local chapters for technical writers & communicators